Welcome to WikiEngineers Tools & Spreadsheets section.
This portion of the site is used to provide you with engineering tools (mostly in the form of Microsoft Excel spreadsheets) to help you understand difficult concepts (or speed up the calculations of difficult concepts).
Disclaimer: The Engineering Tools provided have been checked, but, that being said, WikiEngineer is not able to guarantee the complete accuracy of all these works. Therefore it is important for everyone to do their due diligence to make sure that all works are complete and accurate.
If any mistakes are found they will be added to the Addendum portion you will find under each spreadsheet. Also, if a new version is uploaded the version will change (all versions will start at v1.0 and update accordingly). It is up to you to do your own research and make certain that you have reviewed the spreadsheet you're using and that you are using the most up-to-date spreadsheet available
The Engineering Tools and Spreadsheets will be divided into the following sections:
- I have a fantastic spreadsheet I think would be great to add here
- That's great! We're always looking to increase the size of our Tools database. Please contact me and we'll open a dialog. Please note that we will review the program and may make either cosmetic or structural changes to your program as we see fit (for example all spreadsheets need to link back to their corresponding WikiEngineer page so the user can find out if updates to the program have been made).
- Why use Excel sheets?
- I've found that all engineers have Microsoft Excel (or a similar spreadsheet program) loaded onto their computer. As the most universally accepted application I believe it to be the best way to transfer information.
- What if I don't have Excel?
- A few free versions of spreadsheet programs exist, including: Google Docs and Open Office.
- Why do you lock some cells in the spreadsheet?
- I've locked certain cells in the spreadsheet to protect them from being altered. This way you can't inadvertently break the spreadsheet. If you prefer to unlock the spreadsheet completely and try your luck the password is "WikiEng" (without the quotes).
- What is the password to unlock the spreadsheet?
- I'm new to Excel, how do I use it?
- Excel is a very technical program which cannot be fully explained here (but there are websites that do a great job at helping you along, & being a few.
- How do I know if I have the newest version of the spreadsheet?
- Check back with the website. If a tool is update I will change the version number (e.g. v1.0 when updated will change to v1.1, etc.)
- What if I find a mistake in the spreadsheet?
- Please contact me and let me know. I will updated the programs Addendum accordingly to let others know a mistake has been found. Any mistakes will also be fixed when a new version is released (if possible).
- Can I request a spreadsheet
- Sure! But I can't promise we'll be able to make it. But obviously if we're getting a lot of requests for a certain type of spreadsheet we'll do our best to see if we can get it out.
- Why are these free?
- Here at WikiEngineer we feel it's important to share knowledge. If you feel like we've done a good service you can always donate to the site or buy one of our publications to help support the server.
- Are you sure this spreadsheet works?
- We've done our best to ensure that all tools and spreadsheets are working as intended. But that being said we're not perfect, and you should always do your own research to make certain a 3rd party tool works as intended. Initially these spreadsheets should be considered as a great example to follow or a good way to check your own work. After time they can take the place of hand calculations but that should not be the first step.